Club Brugge KV

If you asked a random Belgian football fan which club he supports, the answer would most likely be Club Brugge KV. Other than their fans, the club is known for their three bear mascots and the striking blue-black home kits. They're also the second most decorated club in Belgian football, having won several Belgian Championship titles and Belgian Cups. The club was also one of the forming members of the Belgian first division (Coupe de championnat).

Basic facts

Founded: 1891
Country: Belgium
City: Bruges

Home grounds

Rattenplein (1891–1912)
Albert Dyserynck Stadium (1912–1974)
Jan Breydel Stadium (1975–)

Main trophies

Belgian First Division: 17
Belgian Cup: 11

Prominent players

Jan Ceulemans, Ivan Perišić, Daniel Amokachi

Club records

Most games played: Dany Verlinden (570)
Top goalscorer: Jan Ceulemans (240)

Club Brugge historic team and staff picture
Club Brugge line-up in 1920.


The club was officially founded in 1891, under the name of Brugsche Football Club. However, numerous internal disagreements among the members led to a split within the club. Soon thereafter, 16 of the club's members formed a new entity called Football Club Brugeois. It wasn't until 1897 that the two clubs reconciled their differences, merging into a single club. Around the same time, Bruges saw the forming of another football club called Cercle Brugge, which led to the forming of a fierce city rivalry.

In 1912, Club Brugge moved to a new stadium called "De Klokke", which they rented at the price of 1,960 francs a year. In 1920, Club Brugge won their first Belgian Championship. The same year, new president Albert Dyserinck bought the stadium, which proved to be the first step in transforming the club into a non-profit organization. When Dyserinck died in a car accident in 1931, the stadium's name was changed to the Albert Dyserinck Stadium.


Rise to Power

The following four decades were relatively quiet for the Blauw-Zwart. Their next major trophy came in 1968, when they won their first Belgian Cup by defeating Beerschot after penalties. After changing their name to Club Brugge KV in 1972, the club won its second Belgian Championship the following season. Two years later, they moved to the Olimpiastadium (later renamed the Jan Breydel Stadium), which remains their home to this day.

With their new stadium serving as the good luck charm, Club Brugge dominated the second half of the 70's. Under influential Austrian coach Ernst Happel, the club won three straight titles (1976, 1977, 1978) and one Belgian Cup (1977). On the international stage, they reached the European Cup final in 1978, where they were defeated by Liverpool. To this day, Club Brugge remains the only Belgian club to reach the finals of the biggest football competition in Europe.

Modern Times

Despite Happel leaving the club in 1978, Club Brugge won another Belgian Championship two years later. However, they soon found themselves on the back foot, narrowly fighting off relegation in 1982. Still, the crisis didn't last too long; after reaching the semi-final of the UEFA Cup in 1988, the club followed it up by securing its seventh Belgian Championship. They continued to be a force in Belgian football throughout the 90's, winning an additional 4 titles and 3 Belgian Cups.

For most of the following two decades, the Blauw-Zwart played second fiddle to Anderlecht, which further soured the relations between these clubs. Soon enough, this became one of the most heated rivalries in Belgian football, earning the nickname "the Hate Game." During these trying times, Club Brugge managed to secure four more Belgian Championships in 2003, 2005, 2016 and 2018. Since 2006, Club Brugge has its own TV channel, becoming the first Belgian club to do so.

By Martin Wahl


Club Brugge logoThe logo consists of a circle with a crown on the top. Above this a star can be seen, symbolize ten league titles. The team colors can be seen in the middle of the circle diagonally, in striped fashion. In the surrounding circle black text is seen over white background with the name of the club. The initials KW standing for Koninklijke Voetbalclub (in English: royal football club).

Club Brugge KV timeline

1891 The club is established as Brugsche Football Club.
1895 One of the founding members of the new Belgian football league.
1912 The club move to a new stadium, "De Klokke".
1920 First time national league champions.
1968 Winning their first domestic cup title (Belgian Cup).
1972 The club is renamed to Club Brugge KV.
1975 First European cup final (UEFA Cup).
1975 The club move to the Jan Breydel Stadium.
1992 First Champions League participation.


Football clubs also founded in 1891:

Peñarol logoPeñarol

Football clubs ordered after establishment

Club nicknames:

Blauw-Zwart (Blue-Black)

Image source:
Beeldbank Brugge